Through our funding we want more people participating in their local communities. Taking part in sport and recreation, cultural activities, or improving the environment can help people to lead fulfilling lives. We recognise people participating in their communities can have benefits for our health and wider community wellbeing.
We fund a range of projects or organisations which
- Improve health and community wellbeing through increasing participation in sport and activity.
- Provide unstructured sport and recreation activities which show community and social benefits.
- Create opportunities for people to take part in arts experiences and creative activities.
- Involve people in enhancing and sustaining our natural environment.
- Help local people delve into the heritage, culture and traditions of their community, and increase connection and belonging.
- Bring heritage assets to life for future generations to enjoy.
- Provide opportunities for people to enjoy and spend time in our unique environments in Canterbury, Nelson, Marlborough and the Chatham Islands.
- Promote, support and enable volunteering in local communities.
- Improve employment opportunities by enabling people to take part in training and employment opportunities.
- Enable participation which reflects and recognises diversity of our communities.
- Support community leadership and participation in local decision making.
What we will look at
- What difference will your project, programme or service make?
- Does your organisation have controls in place to manage the grant?
- Is your organisation able to deliver the project, programme or service?
- How do you know there is a need for your project or organisation?
- How are the community or people who use your service involved with or support your organisation or project?
- To what extent do you work with other organisations to achieve your aims?
- How do you learn about whether your programme is meeting its intended outcomes?
- How does your project, programme or service meet good practice or is it evidence based? This is particularly important if your organisation is working with vulnerable people including children, young people, elderly people, disabled people, and people with mental health issues.
Funding for building projects
Capital expenditure, for examples sport and arts centres are considered under our Building Projects Programme.
What we don't fund
Check out our eligibility page for a full list of What We Do and Don’t Fund.